Friday, February 29, 2008

Ahhhh....potty training....

You really forget how much you hate it once you haven't done it in a while. The worst part of potty training is that you can listen to advice from 100 people but none of that applies to your child. Why? Because every kid does it differently.

Justin? He started peeing on the potty while I was still pregnant with Sarah. Then once we finally started potty training, we went months with no success until we tried the naked thing. That worked quick. And the timing was right. I had found a preschool that took pull-ups so the pressure was off. As soon as the pressure was gone, he figured it all out. For him it was all a matter of being stubborn.

Sarah? Oh my.....she just isn't making the physical connection b/w sitting on the potty and peeing yet. And when she is upset that she peed in her pants, she cries out "Mommy, poo poo. Yuck, poo poo." She just isn't there yet. But, yesterday she woke up asking to wear her underwear. I am assuming the fact that she got her big girl bed this week had something to do with the timing of her desire to wear undies. Problem is, she still has not peed on the potty. 2 days in undies. And many, many pairs of undies and pants later....still no pee on the potty.

The common suggestions you hear:
Bring them to the potty every 20 minutes. Well, that won't do any good. She will hold it for 3 hoursm, including the 3 times you put her on the potty, and then poop on the floor. Yup. True story. Happened last month.
I could put on pull-ups and then undies over that. But pull-ups are diapers and even she calls them that. And they do not make her uncomfortable at all when she pees in them.
Naked thing. She loves being naked. Has never gone to the bathroom while naked other than the above incident. But, again, since she is not making the sit on the potty and pee connection anyway, that will just lead to a lot of messes.

So, I am going to try this as long as I mentally can stand it. Undies. All day except nap and bedtime. I will bring her occassionally to the potty. When we go out, like today, I will put a pull up on over her undies.

And I will rejoice when she can finally make herself pee while she is actually sitting on the potty!!

Wish me luck that I am rejoicing sooner rather than later.

Seriously, I am just shocked by her lack of ability to pee while on the potty. Just amazing since Justin was so good at that when we brought him to the potty. He just wouldn't go there on his own. lol

1 comment:

Mama Luvins said...

Amy, I feel for you. I swear I thought I was going to go crazy training Sophie after Izzy was so relatively easy - at least in comparison! We did the same thing you're doing, and it finally worked. But the process SUCKS!