
Why does everyone make you feel like your child needs to be without a binky? Why am I forced to feel like less of a mom if my child wants a binky? Why? Why do moms feel a huge sense of pride in themselves when their child is binky free? What is the big deal?
When my children were born, I forced the binky on them. I worked very hard to get them to be binky babies. Justin became very attached, and still has it for naps and bedtime. Sarah took some more convincing. For the most part, she only had it while sleeping. She seldom "needed" it. And, yes, I took pride in the fact that I never left the house with a binky.
Now she is 13 1/2 months old and she "needs" a binky. I have been fighting it, but only because of that stupid bad stigma attached to binkies.
Everyday Sarah has times when she is tired and cranky and besides herself. She is impossible to please. And we often just try to feed her or give her a drink to calm her down. Does it work? Not at all!
Suddenly it hits me - what is wrong with this picture? Why am I not just giving her a binky? Why I am feeding her more when she is chubby enough? Why not give her what she really wants?
So, lately, she has been getting a binky. And it is working. She calms down. She needs to suck. We took the bottle away over a month ago. She needs to suck.
I love my girly. And if a binky is what she wants, a binky she shall have!
1 comment:
It always bothers me that Aidan's comfort (bottle) is not "socially acceptable" at three years old. Yet no one makes any comment to me about Gavin sucking his fingers. It's the same to me.
Amy, don't let it bother you!! If that is Sarah's comfort then who cares?
Post a Comment